Young Journalists Club | Latest news of Iran and world

News ID: 27663
Iran » Iran
Publish Date: 14:23 - 20 August 2018
TEHRAN, August 20 - Iran’s Petroleum Minister Bijan Zanganeh says French energy giant Total has officially left the country, ending speculations over whether it would be stay to finish a gas project following the return of US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

Iran says Total officially withdrew from South ParsTEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) -Iran’s Petroleum Minister Bijan Zanganeh says French energy giant Total has officially left the country, ending speculations over whether it would be stay to finish a gas project following the return of US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

Zanganeh was quoted by media as saying that Total had informed Iran’s Ministry of Petroleum “over two months ago” that it would leave Iran, adding that its contract to develop Phase 11 of Iran’s South Pars energy hub had been thus terminated.  

He further emphasized that the proceedings to replace the French company in Phase 11 were underway. 

In July 2017, the NIOC awarded the project to a consortium comprising Total (50.1 percent), China’s CNPC (30 percent) and Iran’s Petropars (19.9 percent) through a contract worth around $4 billion.

However, when the US announced that it would restore sanctions against Iran, the French major said it would withdraw from Phase 11 to avoid American punitive measures. 

This triggered speculations that CNPC would assume Total’s share in the project to be the consortium leader with a total share of around 80 percent.  

Source: presstv

Tags
Your Comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
* captcha: