TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) -A British couple, John Cooper, 69, and his 63-year-old wife, Susan, who was working for Thomas Cook, died while staying at the Aqua Magic Hotel.
“Safety is always our first priority, so as a precautionary measure we have taken a decision to remove all our customers from this hotel," Thomas Cook stated late Thursday.
It added that there were “reports of a raised level of illness among guests.”
"We are aware of the speculation in some of today's media that their deaths may have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Currently we have no evidence to support this."
'Died of exhaustion'
Red Sea regional governor Ahmad Abdallah ruled out any "criminal motive" behind the deaths.
Exhaustion caused the man to die and the woman died after hearing the news of her husband’s death, according to the Egyptian official. Aqua Magic Hotel General Manager Dieter Geigerand confirmed this, claiming that a doctor's preliminary report had indicated that the couple had died due to natural causes. Geigerand strongly denied reports that there was "an increased incidence of illness" at the resort.
However, the couple’s daughter, Kelly Ormerod, who was on holiday with her parents and three children, remains uncertain why her parents died. "Dad ... died in the hotel room in front of me. I went to hospital in the ambulance with Mum, where she passed away."
"We are in utter shock over what has happened and what is happening. Prior to going on holiday, Mum and Dad were fit and healthy. They had no health problems at all."
"All we want is answers about what has happened and a cause of death," she said.
The UK Foreign Office said it was assisting the deceased couple's family, who are now awaiting the results of postmortem examinations.
Egypt's tourism industry suffered a heavy blow in 2015, when a Russian airliner transporting holidaymakers from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh crashed. All 224 people on board died in the tragic incident.
Source: Press TV