TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) -Campaigning for the vote was marred by violence after security forces opened fire to disperse opposition rallies and a fire in the capital Kinshasa ruined thousands of voting machines and ballot boxes earlier this week, raising fears of a repeat of the trouble that hit the 2006 and 2011 polls.
“In an already tense electoral environment, I urge the government to send a clear signal that threats and violence against political opponents will not be tolerated,” Bachelet said in a statement on Friday.
“I am deeply worried about the reports of excessive use of force, including live ammunition, by security forces against opposition rallies,” she added.
Government spokesman Lambert Mende said in a press conference said the government was beefing-up security, without elaborating. He also blamed opposition leaders for the latest violence.
At least two people were killed Wednesday in clashes with police on the sidelines of an opposition rally in Kalemie in eastern DR Congo, a day after two of the supporters of opposition candidate Martin Fayulu were killed and 43 hurt in clashes at a rally in Lubumbashi.
"People known for their extremism, and who have evidently received or given themselves the mission to torpedo and debunk the electoral process, have been working to undermine the process over the past few days," Mende said.