TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club(YJC)_General Nasrollah Fathian, in charge of coordinating executive operations at the National Headquarters to Fight the Coronavirus, made the remark on Monday, adding, “This hypothesis is being thoroughly investigated and the possibility of the coronavirus being a biological attack has not been ruled out.”
He told a news briefing via video link, “This is being examined from a medical and intelligence point of view. So far, we do not possess compelling evidence that can prove this hypothesis, but will announce any new finding in this regard,” he said.
“There is even speculation that this virus has been created to specifically target the Iranian population given their genetic traits. But for now, these theories are all being examined,” he explained.
Fathian noted that 20 mobile hospitals were available that could be settled swiftly in any place demanded by the Health Ministry.
According to the official, 4,000 of the total 6,000 military hospital beds have already been allocated for the treatment of corona patients, the majority of whom are civilians.
Nationwide, a total of 875 hospitals and 150,000 medical personnel are dealing with the ongoing health crisis, Fathian stated.
Strict hygienic measures are in place in military barracks where there have been no reports of the corona outbreak, he said, adding that most barracks have been evacuated or minimized their operations.