Speaking to the Iranian people on Instagram live on Tuesday, Namaki hailed the country’s “proper” fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, adding that 98 deaths from the disease were registered in the past 24 hours.
“We are implementing smart distancing and have announced protocols for it. We want to say that we are currently at a more appropriate situation,” he said.
Namaki, however, warned that the country will face new challenges if health protocols and smart distancing are not observed properly.
Meanwhile, Health Ministry Spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said the new deaths brought the total number of fatalities to 4,683 since the outbreak of the coronavirus in Iran in late February.
Jahanpour added 1,574 new infections had been recorded over the past 24 hours, taking the overall number of confirmed cases to 74,877.
He noted that 48,129 of hospitalized patients had recovered and been discharged, and that 3,691 people are in critical conditions.
Iran’s successful response to the virus comes despite the illegal US sanctions, which are hampering the country’s efforts to rein in the virus.
Iran has been employing strict precautionary measures since the virus surfaced in the country. It has heavily ramped up the required health services, including by increasing the number of hospital beds, and shot up the production of disinfectants and relevant sanitary items.
The Health Ministry reported Monday that new cases of coronavirus infections and deaths from the viral outbreak had been declining across most of the country's 31 provinces.