In a statement on Friday, the ministry did not specify the countermeasures but said they would be applied to all US embassy and consulate staff, as well as the consulate-general in Hong Kong.
"To urge the US to repeal its wrong decisions as soon as possible, the Chinese side has recently sent a diplomatic note announcing reciprocal restrictions on US embassy and consulates, the consulate-general in Hong Kong included," the statement read.
The ministry emphasized that Washington's "multiple rounds of restrictions" on Chinese diplomatic personnel had disrupted bilateral relations.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier this month that US-based senior Chinese diplomats will be required to seek US government permission to engage in a number of routine activities.
Speaking at a news conference at the State Department, the top US diplomat added that the "State Department has established a mechanism requiring approval for senior Chinese diplomats in the United States to visit university campuses and to meet with local government officials,"
Chinese cultural events with more than 50 attendees outside the embassy or consular posts will also need approval, he noted.
Nearly 370,000 Chinese nationals study in the United States, offering significant revenue to colleges that are now facing growing pressure from the coronavirus pandemic.