Lyon’s public prosecutor said Saturday that a suspect had been detained after a shooting attack on an Orthodox priest outside a Greek church in the 7th district of the city. The clergyman, 52-year-old Nikolaos Kakavelaki, was taken to hospital in serious condition.
A suspect detained as part of the investigation into an attack on an Orthodox priest in Lyon has been released, AFP reported, citing a source in the prosecutor's office.
The prosecutors said there was no evidence implicating the man in the attack. His health condition does not allow the police to hold him in custody, they added.
On Saturday, an attacker armed with a hunting rifle with a sawed-off barrel wounded a Greek Orthodox priest in Lyon and fled the scene of the shooting.
The priest, identified as 52-year-old Nikolaos Kakavelaki, was shot in the 7th district of Lyon near a Greek church on Saturday afternoon. He was taken to hospital in serious condition.
Lyon’s public prosecutor, Nicolas Jacquet, announced late on Saturday that a suspect had been arrested as part of the investigation into the attack.