An American contractor suffered a fatal cardiac episode while seeking refuge. This was the last in a series of rocket launches that raised concerns about escalating tensions in the region. No US service members have been reported injured.
Later on Thursday, Senator Bob Menendez (DN.J.) told CNN that, to the best of his knowledge, the attack was carried out by “surrogates in the region” of Iran.
“They gave them the green light to carry out these types of attacks. There must be consequences,” said Menendez, chairman of the Senate’s Foreign Relations Committee, urging the president to “come to Congress” before calling a military one Ordered reaction.
The government of Biden has not yet publicly blamed Tehran for the latest attack, which came just days after the bombing of military positions by Kataib Hezbollah and other Iran-backed groups in eastern Syria late last week.
“We cannot currently ascribe any responsibility and we do not have a complete picture of the extent of the damage,”
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said in a statement on Wednesday.