A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman told a weekly news conference in Tehran on Tuesday evening that he would reverse his wrong decision to dump water contaminated with nuclear material at sea.
According to Xinhua, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin made the remarks in response to a recent move by Tokyo Electric Power to launch submarine drilling operations within a kilometer of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Pacific littoral states, including China, are seriously concerned about Japan's decision and strongly oppose such measures, Wang Wenbin said. The Chinese diplomat added that, despite the concerns of the international community, the company has not fulfilled its previous promise not to drain water.
A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said:
Such an attempt is the result of an irresponsible act. The Japanese government must stop it immediately.
Wang Wenbin said that so far, the Japanese government has not been able to provide a complete and convincing explanation on issues ranging from the legitimacy of the measure to the efficiency of the treatment system and the lack of environmental impact.
We once again call on Japan to pay close attention to the legitimate and rational concerns of the international community and the Japanese people, to reverse the wrong decision to discharge nuclear water into the sea.
Earlier, a group of environmental experts announced that Japan plans to discharge about one million tons of radioactive water from the Fukushima nuclear power plant in the Pacific Ocean.
Beijing is angry that Japan has not consulted with neighboring countries about the plan, the BBC reported. In addition, China has repeatedly criticized the apparent US support for the plan.
"After US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken recently praised Japan for its transparent efforts," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian called on Washington to abandon the double standards.
Zhao Lijian said:
The oceans are not Japan's trash. The Pacific is not Japan's sewer either.